QI Leaders Academy Kaizen Program: “There’s Got To Be a Better Way!”: Getting Vaccination Records into NextGen
CPH used the Kaizen event approach to complete all steps of the improvement cycle in 5 days. The steps were as follows:
- Understand the gap/goal and the current state in order to identify waste in the targeted work process.
- Analyze the root causes of the prioritized issues to identify solutions.
- Develop and test solutions to learn.
- Continue to develop and test solutions to learn.
- Install improvements and create a system for ongoing improvement.
As the event progressed, many QI and change management methods and techniques were applied.
Documentation of vaccinations administered in schools was taking too much time, producing potential errors, and costing money because contract employees are used to do the data entry. The staff wanted to remove all need for external workers and to incorporate the work so that the records would be entered in real time.
Dietsch, MPH, L. Public Health Quality Improvement Exchange. QI Leaders Academy Kaizen Program: “There’s Got To Be a Better Way!”: Getting Vaccination Records into NextGen. Thu, 11/16/2017 - 14:30. Available at https://www.phqix.org/content/qi-leaders-academy-kaizen-program-%E2%80%9Cthere%E2%80%99s-got-be-better-way%E2%80%9D-getting-vaccination-records. Accessed November 29, 2023.