Mobile Food Unit Pre-Opening and Medallion Renewal Inspections
The quality improvement (QI) initiative was meant to improve the MFU inspection process by focusing on pre-opening and medallion renewal inspections.
The team used the Kaizen event approach to complete all steps of the improvement cycle in 5 days. The steps were as follows:
- Understand the gap/goal and the current state in order to identify waste in the targeted work process.
- Analyze the root causes of the prioritized issues to identify solutions.
- Develop and test solutions to learn.
- Continue to develop and test solutions to learn.
- Install improvements and create a system for ongoing improvement.
As the event progressed, many QI and change management methods and techniques were applied.
The expected results were as follows:
- Reduce time to complete administrative activities for inspections.
- Reduce time to complete physical inspections.
- Reduce the amount of time that MFU operators wait to have inspections completed.
- Reduce the number of inspectors dedicated to MFU pre-opening and medallion renewal.
- Reduce the amount of staff time dedicated to MFU pre-opening and medallion renewal.
Hines, R. Public Health Quality Improvement Exchange. Mobile Food Unit Pre-Opening and Medallion Renewal Inspections. Fri, 11/18/2016 - 14:10. Available at https://www.phqix.org/content/mobile-food-unit-pre-opening-and-medallion-renewal-inspections. Accessed December 14, 2019.